New VOC Limits Effective May 1st, 2020
On July 18, 2019 the Colorado Air Quality Control Commission adopted the Ozone Transport Commission (OTC) Model Rule IV for Consumer Products and OTC Model Rule II for Architecture and Industrial Maintenance Coatings. These new limits will become effective in Colorado on May 1, 2020 and will cap allowable floor coating product VOCs throughout the state of Colorado.
What are the New VOC Restrictions?
OTC Model Rule IV for Consumer Products and OTC Model Rule II for Industrial Maintenance Coatings classify floor coating products using the following definitions:
Floor Coating: An opaque coating that is labeled and formulated for application to flooring, including, but not limited to, decks, porches, steps, garage floors, and other horizontal surfaces, which may be subjected to foot traffic."
Industrial Maintenance Coating: A high performance architectural coating, including primers, sealers, undercoaters, intermediate coats, and topcoats formulated for application to substrates, including floors, exposed to one or more of the following extreme environmental conditions listed below and labeled “For industrial use only,” “For professional use only,” “Not for residential use,” or “Not intended for residential use.”
- Immersion in water, wastewater, or chemical solutions (aqueous and non-aqueous solutions), or chronic exposure of interior surfaces to moisture condensation; or
- Acute or chronic exposure to corrosive, caustic, or acidic agents, or to chemicals, chemical fumes, or chemical mixtures or solutions; or
- Frequent exposure to temperatures above 121 degrees C (250 degrees F); or
- Frequent heavy abrasion, including mechanical wear and frequent scrubbing with industrial solvents, cleansers, scouring agents; or
- Exterior exposure of metal structures and structural components
Maximum VOC Limits per OTC Model Rule II & IV:
- Floor Coatings: 100 g/l
- Industrial Maintenance Coatings: 250 g/l
Are Any Resinwerks Products Impacted by this new Regulation?
No they are not. These regulations have been in place throughout other parts of the nation for several years. All Resinwerks products have been developed to be nationally compliant when classified as a floor coating. In addition, most of our products are completely VOC-free and suitable for use in all types of applications. Please click here for more information on our products.